Radioactive Entertainment
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Setting, History and Introduction

5 posters

Go down

Setting, History and Introduction Empty Setting, History and Introduction

Post by ifer Fri Oct 03, 2008 5:50 pm

King Aelric John Marthis was the undisputed ruler of Censhew, an island roughly the size of Europe. Though not lacking in size, the island had sparse vegetation and a climate that got harsher every year. Unlike his predecessors, Aelric was ambitious; and being well-educated, he knew that Censhew was not the only land in the world. Indeed, his ancestors had migrated to the island en-mass from distant lands lost to history long ago.

The king sent explorers in every direction to search for habitable lands. A few found small islands. Some found barren deserts and frozen wastes. Many were lost at sea, never to return. But one ship, sailing far to the Northeast, hit paydirt. A large landmass; lush, green and ripe for the taking. Colonists were immediately enlisted, and habitations were quickly raised.

There was, however, a problem. Over the eons, the people of Censhew had forgotten much. Disasters, wars and even something as simple as time can eliminate vast amounts of knowledge. Magic, once common, had dwindled. The few practitioners now jealously guarded their remaining knowledge, their theatrics inspiring fear and superstition in the masses. Lost, too, was much of history. Even the most well-read of historians could no longer remember what caused their move to the isolated island they now inhabited. But most important of all, the Censhish had forgotten that they were not alone in the world.
ifer
ifer
Admin

http://juandfr.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Setting, History and Introduction Empty Re: Setting, History and Introduction

Post by ifer Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:44 pm

That was a long time ago, and though hard-pressed, the former colonists have since managed to establish themselves in a corner of what is now known as the continent Anturas. This small human population remains in contact with their home country, tithing tribute to their monarch; currently Queen Lorianne Janeth Marthis; and doing their best to eke out a living in a land thriving with the unknown.

All manner of things live in Anturas; there have been encounters with ogres, dragons, carnivorous plants, and other beasts that defy reason and description. Most of these encounters have been violent or otherwise harmful to the Censhish. Many have lead to death, and whole villages have been exterminated overnight. Understandably, most people tend towards the extreme end of superstition and xenophobia. As such, the more extreme insults and curses involve questionable racial heritage, fraternizing with the inhuman, and the like.

Sexism, racism, and other inter-human conflicts tend to be low, since the need to stand together against the tide supersedes such petty squabbles. Notable exceptions to this are the magic users and gypsies, who are regarded with fear and suspicion. The former more than in the past because their spells bear resemblance to the powers some otherworldly creatures use; though that doesn't change the fact that they often hold positions of power. Gypsies, on the other hand, are rumored to have direct dealings with the fey. Still, both Gypsies and magic-users are human. And that makes them at least tolerable.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You will be starting the game in Rosewood; a small farming hamlet of 63 people whose primary export is turnips. Roseland was named for the bright red roses that thrive amidst the dense deciduous forest of the surrounding area. The village is but one of many that are beholden to Prince Kristofer Raamiz Marthis; son of Queen Lorianne and lord of Palbrooke, the largest and most prosperous city the community has yet to produce.

The adventure starts with the PCs, along with a fair number of the village's population, preparing to take the week-long journey to Palbrooke to trade at the market.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Questions? Comments?

I'm suggesting that this be this first time that the PCs have ever gone to the market. If you'd really like to have gone before, though, we can work something out.

Some example character ideas/backgrounds are: gypsy blood, son of the resident trapper
Some example benefits/flaws are: strong, experience with sword, diseased, heirloom

Please PM/e-mail me your character ideas, so we can start working on them.

Also, feel free to discuss here what you'd like to see in this campaign. Would you like to get into espionage? Dungeoneering? Politics? Would you prefer your hack-and-slash with lots of dice, or would you rather it be more like a story? Stuff like that.
ifer
ifer
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kyle Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:24 pm

I would prefer it to be more roleplaying oriented, with plenty of time for our characters to get involved in the world and pursue our own projects besides the main story.
Kyle
Kyle

Back to top Go down

Post by molten.fire.&.ice Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:08 pm

I agree with Kyle on the role-playing oriention.
Espionage and dungeoneering sound great. At least Ifer knows my great detaste for politics Razz
Sounds like a great story base so far! Love the details.
*goes off to PM about character*
~ Kathryn

molten.fire.&.ice

http://molten-fire-and-ice.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by SkittlesMeTimber Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:22 pm

I would love to become a political mover and shaker in this campaign, but that's more a motivation for Jaynus

SkittlesMeTimber

Back to top Go down

Post by ifer Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:28 am

Thanks, Kathryn!

If we do look into politics in-game, it won't be the modern democracy type. It'll be various rich, famous, royal, or otherwise notable parties that are probably intent upon doing horrible things to one another, regardless of how it affects the common people. Which is both far more interesting, more likely to involve adventurers, and easier to be involved without having to know anything about politics.

I was hoping to have role-playing and story at the forefront, and I'm glad you guys are happy with that. You won't have too many numbers to deal with; I'll be more likely to say "you chopped the guy's arm off" than "you rolled a critical success, dealing x points of damage."
ifer
ifer
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiki Sun Oct 12, 2008 10:42 pm

Now THAT sounds wicked cool. Sorry for the slow reply, as I lack internet when I need it and have been working like a DOG.
Kiki
Kiki

Back to top Go down

Post by ifer Sun Oct 12, 2008 11:16 pm

Glad you like.
'sok. I've been having computer troubles, too.
ifer
ifer
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ifer Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:32 am

Setting, History and Introduction Rosewo10

The new country has now been dubbed Aclien.
ifer
ifer
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum