Main Thread

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Main Thread Empty Main Thread

Post by ifer on Fri Oct 17, 2008 3:17 am

The weather is warming and summer is on its way. The first turnips of the year have been harvested, and the people of Rosewood are preparing to embark on a week-long journey to sell the fruits of their labor at the Palbrooke market. All told, 26 villagers have gathered to take the trip; many are farmers, but others are from the local garrison. Two wagons, four carts, assorted livestock and pack animals complete the caravan.

Bidding farewell to your loved ones, the convoy sets off into the wilderness. The trail is clearly marked and heads south with very few detours, crossing a formidable river about halfway to your destination. Born and raised in Aclien, your group is understandably nervous. The soldiers pace the line, watching the forests warily, and post several guards at every pit stop. Despite this, the trip has so far been surprisingly quiet. A bear wandered across the path on the first day, a couple of carts got stuck in the mud and had to be dug out, and a group of small scaly things made off with some of the sheep one night, but all in all it's been relatively uneventful.

On the third night after leaving Rosewood you reach the river and break camp, electing to wait until morning to make the hazardous crossing. With the fire lit and the smell of roasting mutton filling the air, the camp is buzzing with life.

Where are you and what are you doing?
ifer
ifer
Admin

Posts : 685
Join date : 2008-06-03
Age : 30
Location : Canada

View user profile http://juandfr.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Main Thread Empty Re: Main Thread

Post by Kiki on Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:10 am

By the river, playing with my falcon.
Kiki
Kiki

Posts : 307
Join date : 2008-08-10
Age : 26
Location : Canada

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Main Thread Empty Re: Main Thread

Post by Kyle on Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:44 am

Marcus sits on the edge of the firelight, carefully packing some of the leaves and herbs he has gathered along the way and ensuring that the items he is bringing to town are securely stored in his travel box.


Last edited by Kyle on Fri Oct 17, 2008 5:56 pm; edited 1 time in total

_________________
I am the light that pours over the rusted world of pretend, before your eyes ease open and it's dark again.
Kyle
Kyle

Posts : 1024
Join date : 2008-06-04
Location : Canada

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Main Thread Empty Re: Main Thread

Post by SkittlesMeTimber on Fri Oct 17, 2008 5:06 pm

Cooking some of the food for the camp taken from my crops from home.

SkittlesMeTimber

Posts : 1009
Join date : 2008-06-04

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Main Thread Empty Re: Main Thread

Post by ifer on Sat Oct 18, 2008 4:32 am

The roaring of the river covers any noise from the approaching menace. A dozen and more figures materialize out of the night, dispatching one of the flatfooted guards before he has a chance to draw his weapon. His death cry alerts the camp. Swords are raised, bows drawn, and the 14 remaining soldiers quickly organize into a defensive unit. Blood flies as the combatants meet.

Faces, ranging from grotesque to beautiful, can be glimpsed in the firelight. Indeed, the attackers seem a haphazard assortment of races. A hulking, pug-nosed brute of an orc and a slender, brown-skinned centaur fight alongside other less recognizable creatures, each with the same crazed, ragged look.
ifer
ifer
Admin

Posts : 685
Join date : 2008-06-03
Age : 30
Location : Canada

View user profile http://juandfr.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Main Thread Empty Re: Main Thread

Post by SkittlesMeTimber on Sat Oct 18, 2008 11:06 am

I run through the camp looking for my lady friend, hoping she hasn't been caught by this strange group of attackers. "Hydri? Where are you?!

SkittlesMeTimber

Posts : 1009
Join date : 2008-06-04

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Main Thread Empty Re: Main Thread

Post by Kyle on Sat Oct 18, 2008 7:24 pm

Marcus runs back to the central fire, carrying his travel box under his arm and fumbling for a vial on his bandoleer that might be useful in this situation.


Last edited by Kyle on Sun Oct 19, 2008 12:02 am; edited 1 time in total

_________________
I am the light that pours over the rusted world of pretend, before your eyes ease open and it's dark again.
Kyle
Kyle

Posts : 1024
Join date : 2008-06-04
Location : Canada

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Main Thread Empty Re: Main Thread

Post by Kiki on Sat Oct 18, 2008 9:29 pm

"Mortiquie, scout!"

Hydri sends her falcon to get an overview of the scene to see how many casualties occured. When he returned and squacked the amount, she swore before grabbing her few belongings and running toward the main encampment where she hopes to encounter her travel mates and any other survivors.
Kiki
Kiki

Posts : 307
Join date : 2008-08-10
Age : 26
Location : Canada

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Main Thread Empty Re: Main Thread

Post by ifer on Sun Oct 19, 2008 2:41 pm

Hydri can hear Jaynus calling, and is able to make her way to him in the confusion. You end up near the fire, where most of the civilians are gathering. Marcus is there, rummaging through is equipment, and several farmers are doing the same.

The cacophony is growing louder, and you look over to watch the battle. At first, the human soldiers appear to be winning. One by one, the attackers fall to warriors sustaining only cuts and bruises, and the onlookers cheer wholeheartedly at the prospect of a quick victory and a decent night's sleep.

But as the fight wears on, it becomes apparent to you that the number of combatants is not decreasing, but rather appears to be growing. As you watch, another wave of monstrosities run out of the forest, hacking into the fray with abandon. Two more soldiers drop as the line of battle edges ever closer.

"It's not looking good out there." Beside you stands Simon Whestley, local pig farmer and a close friend of Jaynus. Grim-faced, he's carrying an armful of farming implements, and you notice two of his brothers making their way through the crowd, distributing sickles and flails. He hands you each a makeshift weapon, gripping Jaynus' shoulder briefly before moving on.
ifer
ifer
Admin

Posts : 685
Join date : 2008-06-03
Age : 30
Location : Canada

View user profile http://juandfr.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Main Thread Empty Re: Main Thread

Post by SkittlesMeTimber on Sun Oct 19, 2008 2:59 pm

I give Hydri a tight embrace before looking around for an implement i could use as a weapon, prepared to do battle.

SkittlesMeTimber

Posts : 1009
Join date : 2008-06-04

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Main Thread Empty Re: Main Thread

Post by Kyle on Sun Oct 19, 2008 3:09 pm

With a murmured "Ah ha!" Marcus produces five vials of green fluid. He hands them out to those nearby but keeps one for himself. "Throw these at the monsters, but be careful of them splashing, it's acid," he instructs. He stands by the fire, vial in one hand and takes a sickle in the other, waiting for the creatures to draw nearer.


Last edited by Kyle on Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:45 pm; edited 1 time in total

_________________
I am the light that pours over the rusted world of pretend, before your eyes ease open and it's dark again.
Kyle
Kyle

Posts : 1024
Join date : 2008-06-04
Location : Canada

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Main Thread Empty Re: Main Thread

Post by Kiki on Sun Oct 19, 2008 9:57 pm

Hyrdi is very startled by the embrace and becomes very flustered.

"Jaynus, this isn't the time for...."this". She takes a held out flail and cautiously accepts the vile that Marcus gave the group.

"Thank you, all. But...what are we going to do now? I help make weapons, not fight with them... we need a plan... and fast."
Kiki
Kiki

Posts : 307
Join date : 2008-08-10
Age : 26
Location : Canada

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Main Thread Empty Re: Main Thread

Post by Kyle on Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:49 pm

"We need to get everyone close to the fire," says Marcus quickly. "That way we can see what we're fighting and we won't have to worry about them attacking our backs." Despite his apparent grasp of the situation his tight grip on the sickle and worried glances around bely his nervousness.

_________________
I am the light that pours over the rusted world of pretend, before your eyes ease open and it's dark again.
Kyle
Kyle

Posts : 1024
Join date : 2008-06-04
Location : Canada

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Main Thread Empty Re: Main Thread

Post by ifer on Mon Oct 20, 2008 4:51 am

A loud thunk sounds as another guard goes down from a heavy blow to the skull. Only six soldiers remain, but a score and more of the beasts can be seen in the camp. They've begun attacking you, as well. Already, two have been slain by your comrades. Six more have broken away from the main fight to approach the fire.

Close-up, the creatures look gaunt and old. Their clothes hang in tatters, and they wield at best makeshift clubs; most are attacking unarmed, and without any regard for tactics or their own safety.
ifer
ifer
Admin

Posts : 685
Join date : 2008-06-03
Age : 30
Location : Canada

View user profile http://juandfr.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Main Thread Empty Re: Main Thread

Post by SkittlesMeTimber on Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:24 am

I pick up the scythe that was handed to me, then look to Marcus. "Sounds like a plan..." I shout to anyone near by "Comrades, get around the fire, guard your backs!"

SkittlesMeTimber

Posts : 1009
Join date : 2008-06-04

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Main Thread Empty Re: Main Thread

Post by Kiki on Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:43 am

Hydri nods and raises her flail, readying to attack if and when necessary. Keeping with the group, she dashes towards the centre fire, cautious of her surroundings and readies Mortique to defend his master. She shudders as she passes a fallen guard, thinking back on the mangled corpses of the brothers she held so dear.
Kiki
Kiki

Posts : 307
Join date : 2008-08-10
Age : 26
Location : Canada

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Main Thread Empty Re: Main Thread

Post by ifer on Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:04 pm

Line broken, the soldiers are falling back; making for a more defensible position.

Two of the six beasts closing in on you have moved into melee attack range. One is the orc you noticed earlier, its eyes bloodshot and foggy. The other is a gaunt, sickly-looking dog; its fur is falling out in patches and a thin foam can be seen in the corners of its mouth.

Main Thread Map211

(please choose which of the PCs is you, and remember to post both your attack and damage rolls [both are d20])
ifer
ifer
Admin

Posts : 685
Join date : 2008-06-03
Age : 30
Location : Canada

View user profile http://juandfr.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Main Thread Empty Re: Main Thread

Post by Kiki on Sat Oct 25, 2008 6:08 pm

(I'll be 2, since no one else is biting for it...how do you role the die?)

Hydri is calm and plasid, as usual, but is absolutely terrifyed by the creatures before her. Her weapon shaking in her sweaty palm, she readies to attack, relying only upon her knowledge of combat that her father told her. Hydri, herself, has only fought with words. Her best bet, she finds, is to attack the dog. Though her inner animal lover cries out in protest, it is a matter of survival and she swings at it.

1: 11

2: 4


Last edited by Kiki on Sat Oct 25, 2008 6:34 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : NUMBERS. XD)
Kiki
Kiki

Posts : 307
Join date : 2008-08-10
Age : 26
Location : Canada

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Main Thread Empty Re: Main Thread

Post by ifer on Sat Oct 25, 2008 6:25 pm

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/dice/dice.htm
The orange d20 near the bottom, click "roll" beside it and post the numbers.
One roll to see if you hit, and another for damage.
ifer
ifer
Admin

Posts : 685
Join date : 2008-06-03
Age : 30
Location : Canada

View user profile http://juandfr.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Main Thread Empty Re: Main Thread

Post by Kyle on Sun Oct 26, 2008 12:11 am

(I guess I'll be 1 then)

Marcus steps forwards a little and swings at the orc, trying to keep as far back as possible and thus out of harm's way. The sickle is a strange device to him however, and the curved weight of the blade does not help his aim.

Rolls: attack: 5, damage: 10


Last edited by Kyle on Sun Oct 26, 2008 12:35 am; edited 1 time in total

_________________
I am the light that pours over the rusted world of pretend, before your eyes ease open and it's dark again.
Kyle
Kyle

Posts : 1024
Join date : 2008-06-04
Location : Canada

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Main Thread Empty Re: Main Thread

Post by SkittlesMeTimber on Sun Oct 26, 2008 12:30 am

(2 it is)

Jaynus swings his sickle at one of the unknown creatures.


to hit: 15

damage: 7

SkittlesMeTimber

Posts : 1009
Join date : 2008-06-04

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Main Thread Empty Re: Main Thread

Post by ifer on Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:45 pm

The orc barrels into Ben Collen, the farmer between Hydri and Marcus, knocking the wind out of him but doing little other damage. Overestimating the reach of his weapon and the speed of his target, Marcus' swing misses the orc completely.

Lunging, the dog sinks its teeth into Hydri's leg as her retaliatory swing goes wide. Mortique dives towards the dog, talons tearing ferociously at its eyes and ears. With a yelp of pain the mongrel lets go of Hydri, frantically shaking its head in an attempt to dislodge the bird while Jaynus takes advantage of this opportunity to swing his sickle into the fray; cutting a long, bloody gash in the dog's side.

Two more creatures move into range; another orc and a short, stocky humanoid wearing tattered armour that, while crude, is miles beyond the rags that the others are wearing.
ifer
ifer
Admin

Posts : 685
Join date : 2008-06-03
Age : 30
Location : Canada

View user profile http://juandfr.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Main Thread Empty Re: Main Thread

Post by SkittlesMeTimber on Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:39 am

Jaynus sees the armored being and decides he is the biggest threat, swinging his sickle at it.

to hit: 20 (CRITICAL)

Damage: 18

SkittlesMeTimber

Posts : 1009
Join date : 2008-06-04

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Main Thread Empty Re: Main Thread

Post by Kiki on Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:25 pm

Hydri, still recovering from the dog bite, sees the two oncoming monsters. She swings at the orc, seeing as the others have taken to the larger target.

Attack: 11
Damage: 3


Last edited by Kiki on Sun Nov 09, 2008 7:31 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Dice rolls)
Kiki
Kiki

Posts : 307
Join date : 2008-08-10
Age : 26
Location : Canada

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Main Thread Empty Re: Main Thread

Post by ifer on Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:10 pm

(this would go faster if everyone posts)

Bloodshot eyes boring into his opponent, the dwarf swings a fist just as Jaynus makes his attack; sickle severing the dwarf's arm and digging into its side before the blow can connect.

Gasping for breath, Ben hurls the vial of acid, catching the orc in the chest. The orc howls in pain as the fluid eats into its skin and lashes out, landing a hard blow to the side of Ben's head that knocks the farmer to the ground as it dodges an attack from Marcus (attack 6 [roll 10, -4 non-proficient], damage 5 [roll 6, str -1]).

Hydri misses, but her swing distracts the orc long enough for Mortique to rip off a sizable chunk of scalp, ear included.
ifer
ifer
Admin

Posts : 685
Join date : 2008-06-03
Age : 30
Location : Canada

View user profile http://juandfr.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Main Thread Empty Re: Main Thread

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum